Did you know that reading to your child is one of the most powerful ways to boost his or her brainpower? The simple and enjoyable act of sharing books helps your child learn pre-reading skills such as understanding the sounds letters make, developing a bigger vocabulary, and building background knowledge—all important skills that help prepare your child for learning to read and entering kindergarten.
Alfred H. Baumann Free Public Library 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten program is a fun, exciting, and free way to start your child on the path to success! Any child ages birth to five years can participate.
How to Participate
1. Register: Sign up at Alfred H. Baumann Free Public Library or online on our website. You can find the registration button below.
2. Track Your Reading: Fill in a circle, write down, or use the iPhone and Android compatible App to add each book you read with your child on your reading record. For detailed instructions go to the 1000 Books Before Kindergarten page on our website, www.abwplibrary.org.
3. Every Book Counts: Even if your child wants to hear the same book, again and again, you can count it each time. You can also count the books your child hears in storytime, in daycare or preschool, or with a friend or family member, as long as your child listens to the entire book.
4. 100-Book Milestones: Each time you read 100 books, bring your reading record to the library to receive a special reward. Take home a new reading record for your next 100 books.
5. 500-Book Milestone: You are halfway there! Come to the library to receive your very own book from us!
6. 1,000 Books: You did it! Come celebrate at the library, choose a new library book to have dedicated to your child. The book will remain in the library collection for circulation and will be a reminder to your family and all the families in our community about the importance of early literacy!
7. Keep on Reading: Don’t stop at 1,000! Keep on reading together; there’s more learning ahead!
Frequently Asked Questions
· Who can participate in this program? Any child from birth to kindergarten can participate in the 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten Program.
· How long will the program take? The program will take anywhere from a few months to a few years. This program is self-paced and will depend on how often you read together. If you read just 1 book a night, you will have read about 365 books in a year. If you start a little later, consider this, just reading three picturebooks a day to your child is 1095 books in a year!
· How many of my children can participate? All of them (provided they have not yet started kindergarten. Ask at the desk for special buttons for siblings that read to their younger brothers or sisters. Make it even more fun and read as a family!